Question
Posted by: Concerned Wife | 2010/10/12

ATTN: WOMAN

Hi!

Thanks for your reply to my post. I appreciate you giving the support and advice. I am pleased to say that my hubby seems to be quite positive regarding his diagnosis and medication, and is not " angry"  about the diagnosis. He chats about it to me quite easily. His only concern is the cost involved in the theraphy and meds, and the medication that he''s pumping into his body, but that''s really the last of my worries - as long as there is light at the end of the tunnel! He has also made the decision to make his employer aware, as well as our children, which for me is a very good sign. Maybe I''m wrong, but I''m reading this as a sign of " relief"  on his part? When I engage with him, I try to talk about " us"  rather than " you"  and I" ve promised him my love and support and that we are in this together for the long haul...

I know it''s very early days, but I can already see a difference in him. He is definately more upbeat. He has had 3 really good nights sleep, which have been very few to almost non-existent in the last year. I know there will be the very good days, and then there will be the very bad days ( I''m aware that ADD sufferers don''t normally have a happy medium) but the good thing is that he is positive about going forward.

I am exploring my options regarding seeing a pshyciatrist myself, but need to consider whether I should see the same therapist, or a different one. What''s your feeling on that?

It's really good to hear of what sounds like genuine progress being made - you have handled the situation, so far, really well. As for whether to see the sam therapist or a different one, Probably best to see a different one. Where and if necessary, the shrinks can talk with each other if liaison is for some reason considered necessary.

5
Posted by: Concerned Wife | 2010/10/12

Thanks Linus - I sure will look into the Aspergers Syndrome.

Reply to Concerned Wife
Posted by: Woman | 2010/10/12

I agree Linus, many adult ADHD''s has a degree of aspergers. But it is still something they have to make peace with. I mean, you can''t go to somebody who still thought he was coping fine last week, that he has adhd and aspergers. It is better let him make his own choices, It''s about taking control and responsibility for your own life, his psych would prob. be the best person to bring this up. My hubby was diagnosed 3 years ago, yet a positive diagnosis of Aspergers was only made this year.

Hubby wouldn''t have trusted him enough to believe him last year. And now he''s finally found a mix of meds that works for him.

Reply to Woman
Posted by: Linus | 2010/10/12

Dear Concerned Wife - you should do some research into Aspergers Syndrome as well as ADHD goes hand in glove with this condition and it could be affecting him as well...

Reply to Linus
Posted by: Woman | 2010/10/12

Hi there, I am glad to see that things are going so well. It sounds as if the psych may have put him on wellbutrin? Wellbutrin is a well known mood enhancer and helps calm and focus the ADHD adult. It''s wonderful that he feels comfortable enough to share his condition. It can only help. People often don''t realise that this is a genetic condition, he''s not a-social on purpose. We also live openly with ADHD. It''s encouraging that people are asking questions. It goes a long way to help ADHD''s feel accepted.

Give it another month, then have a party - small at your house, 4 ppl max. Just have fun and see how he handles it. ADhd''s will feel relief once they realize that they are going to be okay. I think it causes much stress to know that you don''t work the same way as other people, to accept it and to work through it.

You are wonderful for sticking with him, there is nothing that love cannot overcome. AS for the psych.- his relationship with his psych, is sacred, he needs to learn to foster it, and he needs to take his own responsibility for it, I think you should see somebody different than him. If you two hit a rough spot, you can always suggest a counselling session with his psych &  himself. ANd if he has a bad day, remind him how proud you are that he''s taken responsibility for himself and his own happiness.

Adults who live with ADHD and seek help and take the meds are very brave people, I don''t think people realise this.

I have a blog on health, you are welcome to contact me there, Thank you CS, for the use of your forum :)

Reply to Woman