Posted by: Cindy | 2009-05-04

Attempted suicide

My nephew attempted suicide last Tuesday and ate rat poison granules. He was found on time and survived after being on life support. We were shocked as he is one of those sweet obedient kids, we truly did not expect it. He told the nurses that he did not like the way his mom treated him and that she always shouted at him. He later told me that since beginning of the year he has been hearing voices, since Jan 09, to kill his mother and he has attempted to do so by putting poison in her food but for some reason just before he served the food he would throw the food away. Now my family is divided, some believe the halucinations are as a result satanist possessions whilst my mom believes he probably has mental illness. I read on bipolar and did not see that the suffers tend to commit suicide. He has been for psychological assessment and he was given a green light to be discharged with no diagnosis. Any form of guidance will be appreciated.

Very sad, Cindy. Many sad adolescents attempt suicide, for a variety of insufficient reasons, but rarely in such a dangerous way as rat poison, and his report of hearing voices is really serious, and suggests either profoundly severe depression ( which can become psychotic in its intensity ) or a psychotic illness such a schizophrenia. WHen you then add that he has apparently thought about and even attempted to kill his mother, this becomes alarming and an emergency. Hallucinations are NEVER caused by dabbling in satanism --- more the other way round --- severely disturbed kids who are miserable and psychiatrically ill are more likely to dabble in satanism.
With the information you supply here, it is hard to believe that any competent health professional could assess such a kid and make NO diagnosis and pass him as fit for discharge --- I find that a frightening thought. URGENTLY the mother must have him competently examined and assessed by one or more competent and experienced local psychiatrists. Mere Psychological testing should be only a minor part of a full and competent assessment ( and the wrong tests will give misleading results ) , which should be done by a really experienced psychiatrist, possibly after a period under observation in hospital. TO discharge him without a proper diagnosis and treatment plan could endanger his life and those of others.