Question
Posted by: Kate | 2008/08/05

Attack Training

I am a little concerned and perhaps someone can help with this problem.

There is a lady who brings her large black standard poodle to the beach.
Coco can be very boistrous and is not very tolerent (in my opinion) of smaller dogs.
I heard that this lady is now taking her dog to " attack"  training as she is fairly old and lives alone.
Now this is all fair and well but my problem is this.
None of us have our dogs on a lead when we get on the beach, unless we see someone who has their dog on a lead, other wise they all run freely.
Every now and again there is a squabble but it is usually what I refer to as " spit and noise"  and no real biting - almost more like a warning
Surely if this dog is now doing attack training the warning aspect goes out the window and this dog is just going to bite?

I have not in the last 18 months seen any indication of this dog listening to her commands and feel that a dog like that should now be kept on a lead when taken down on the beach.

Dear Kate

If the dog is doing attack training a would presume the attack training is aimed at attacking humans not dogs. In most instances dogs will sort themselves out on the beach if the owners do not interfere with them.

Vat hom fluffy!

5
Posted by: Carol | 2008/08/06

(Kate .. yes you must :) havent seen u for ages )

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Kate | 2008/08/06

Hi Guys
(Carol I must make a plan to come visit :)

Whispering in her ear is not an option as she already thinks I do not like her and her dog, which is not the case I just make sure that I stay away from her and Coco cause Coco is well a little to boistrous for my liking and has once before had a go at my dog.

I guess I can raise this with others at the beach and see if they feel the same way.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/05

As predicted, I' m totally against attack training, except in very specific and limited circumstances.

The scenario you describe is a recipe for disaster. If I were you, I' d inform the lady concerned that she is to keep her dog leashed in public at all times, failing which she will be reported.

It is a far, far better thing to rely on a dog' s natural instinct to protect members of its ' pack'  - the unfortunate part is that people who don' t understand dogs aren' t good at exploiting this pack instinct, which is probably where the problem lies in this case too.

If the lady wants protection, let her get a shock stick, or pepper spray - do NOT let her inflict an uncontrollable, large, attack-trained dog on the public.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2008/08/05

Im not a fan of manwork .... but I do believe that all dogs should be trained properly and unless trained be kept on a leash.

Is the lady able to physically control the dog , I have known 3 of these large poodles and although they look " poofy"  are quite the opposite when crossed.

Perhaps a word in her ear may help ??? perhaps suggest doggie school first ???

Reply to Carol
Posted by: WR | 2008/08/05

Hi Kate,

I know that Chill and a few others are not pro-protection training etc. I am not going to try and justify the training in itself.
What I do have a problem with is that the lady even considers training the dog for manwork (protection work) when, as you' ve said, the dog does not listen to her anyway!
I believe that ONLY if your dog is obedient and you have the experience and the NEED for a manwork trained dog, then you can CONSIDER it.

Then, manwork training will not necessarily make the dog more dog-aggressive.

Dogs have been bred over the the years of them becoming domesticated to NOT bite humans. What the manwork does is to show them that they are ' allowed'  to bite man. And therein lies the problem.

In my personal opinion, a dog that is not obedient, should not be taken off leash, manwork trained or not.

Reply to WR