Question
Posted by: Bee | 2008/08/07

ATT: CHILL

Hi Chill

Thanks so much for your advice on my 6 week old bulldog puppy. I would like your advice on how long to send her to day care? And I am not sure if I like the day care she is now. There are so mnay dogs and they can' t give me proper feedback on her progress.

There is another day care around the corner which charges much less per month and they are certified animal behavourists, also only accommodate 10 puppies. Does this seem like a better option, can I go check it out or should I just leave her where she is?

Then - if we fr ex. go for a braai on Saturday, although she is so very small, do i leave her at home (with access to garden) and if she cries all the time, will it be ok? We won' t cause her damage by leaving her and letting her cry all the time, probably maing her feel like we are abondoning her?

Thanks so much for your help.

xx

Take her with to the braai for socialising if poss. Just be carefull, if anybody has a grudge against you at the braai they may try to feed her a bone on the sly.

4
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/07

Sorry, they don' t seem to want to ' validate'  the rest of my reply - will try again tomorrow.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/07

I think you' re being over-concerned. Obviously I have no knowledge of which of the ' day-cares'  is the best - use your judgment for that. Frankly, though, I believe the main purpose of the day care for a young puppy is firstly its safety - a pup left alone at home can get into trouble and be unable to figure out how to get back out - and regular feeding. I think you' re being oversensitive about the pup' s ' psychology'  - she must learn to fit in with you, you don' t have to change your entire world to fit in with her.

Also, realise this: a little pup sleeps a WHOLE lot of the time. I knew this, of course, but last time I had a pup in the house, it amazed me all over again - she' d be up at 7, sleeping again by 7.30, then wake up for a mid-morning snack and a widdle, and sleep again till two, when she had ' lunch'  - and then back to sleep until her proper play time, which in her schedule was from around 4.30 until maybe 7 pm, when she' d get fed, and then apart from when I woke her up to widdle etc, she' d sleep right through until the next morning again.

/to be continued...

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/07

Well that worked, now I don' t know why the proper one won' t - will try again later

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/07

My response doesn' t seem to want to ' take'  so this is a test one...

Reply to Chill