Question
Posted by: Eve | 2011-11-01

Atrial Fibrillation

Dear Dr,
A few years ago on a treadmill an ECG showed up nothing but after a 24hour monitor test it showed Atrial Fibrillation. Does Atrial Fibrillation go away or does one have it permantly?
At the time the cardiologist reduced my Eltroxin meds as my TSH had dropped extremely low.
I am not taking any medication for it now as the ecotrin prescribed caused me to bruise very badly. 6 Months ago I stopped taking my Filodipine as my BP was low and I was getting very dizzy on it.
I can only get a Cardiologist appntmtn in Jan and am concerned because when I exercise like walking or swimming for about 45min I feel light headed, run down instead of feeling fitter and my face gets puffy and swollen around my eyes and my eyes very red. Could it be related to Atrial Fibrillation.
Thank you for your advice.

Eve

You have symptoms of atrial fibrillation, especially exercise intolerance and facial edema. It is possible that your underlying cause for atrial fibrillation, is hypothyroidism. If the hypothyroidism is controlled, your atrial fibrillation will also be controlled.

You will therefore, have to consult your GP for blood tests, especially TSH and T4 to evaluate your thyroid function. An ECG will also have to be done, to determine if atrial fabrillation is present.