Posted by: Eve | 2011-10-26

Atrial Fibrillation

Dear Dr,
A few years ago a normal treadmill ECG showed up nothing but after a 24hour monitor test it showed Atrial Fibrillation.
Does it go away or does one have it permantly?
I am not taking any medication for it as the ecotrin caused me to bruise very badly.
I was just wondering why when I do light exercise like walking for about 45min I get very run down and my face seems to get very swollen. Could it be related.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Eve,

Atrial fibrillation behaves in many different ways. It may be permanent, but may also be intermittent, in other words it occurs only some of the time. For example, it may sometimes be provoked by exercise.

You don’t mention your age, but generally a tendency to atrial fibrillation does not disappear and as people get older the attacks tend to become more frequent and to last longer.

It is important to establish whether you have chronic AF or intermittent AF, so my advice would be to see a physician or a cardiologist to try to answer these questions. A resting ECG, an exercise ECG, and 24 or 48 hours of heart rhythm monitoring may all be very helpful.

Best wishes, JT.