Question
Posted by: Atkins | 2009-09-15

Atkins

Hi Doc, I have been on the Atkins diet now for nearly 3 weeks, i sometimes have a cheat day on a Sunday, i have lost weight, it works, BUT...i feel so awful, sometimes it feels as if i can not even get out of bed, everyone is commenting on how tired i look, could this be from the Atkins diet?

Dear Atkins
Yes I know that the Atkins or the high-protein, high-fat diet works, but it does exact a great toll on the body. By cutting out all or practically all carbs you are preventing your body access to the best source of rapidly available energy. This is why you feel and look so tired - no energy. If you consider that the Tour de France cyclists obtain 70% of their energy (and they sure use a lot of energy) from carbs then you can imagine that cutting out carbs is going to make you feel pretty tired. Luckily most people don't stay on the Atkins diet for long, so once you get back to eating a balanced diet that contains carbs (which are not fattening if eaten in moderation and without piling fats like mayonnaise, butter, etc, on them), then you will feel better again.