Question
Posted by: Lizzy | 2012/03/04

Athletics

Good day Fitness Doc.

Where on the internet can I find a training programme for children''s athletics, especially 100 m, between the ages of 11 and 13 years?

Thank you so much

Hi Lizzy

I don't think a structured programme is really a good idea, honestly. I think at this age, 2 or 3 days a week of running "training" is about the maximum limit, the rest of the time should be spent in other sports that will improve speed and fitness as a consequence of play. So if it's a boy, then soccer or rugby or hockey, even tennis, for girls, soccer, tennis, netball or hockey.

I think if these sports are done, they develop a general range of skills, and that will carry over onto the track.

Having said this, those 2 or 3 days a week of running training can still be optimized, and for that, I'd suggest looking into contacting Discovery Vitality and getting your hands on a training manual that was done for athletics. They gave these out to schools, and I actually wrote the athletics manual - it has examples of sessions, some principles and some tips on running technique, which is really the main thing you teach at this stage. So contact Discovery Vitality and see if they can send you a copy or two of that athletics manual.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/03/17

Hi Lizzy

Reply to fitnessdoc