Question

Aterax

HI Doc

My physchiatrist prescribed me Aterax to help me sleep at night. And it really works well. THe problem is that I am extremely tired during the day. Do you think this could be as a result of the Aterax? I also take Cipralex, which I take in the morning.

Please could you advise me?

I'm not at all surprized. Aterax is an extremely old drug, originally aimed for other uses, but EXTREMELY sedative. I think it highly likely that your day-time tiredness is due to the Aterax. There are more modern and safer night sedatives one can use instead, like Stilnox and generics, designed to wear off well before morning and to avoid that hangover effect.
But Aterax is peculiarly popular in South Africa

2
Posted by: Maria | 2010/02/11

The upside of Aterax is that it really helps if you have hayfever!

Reply to Maria