Posted by: Linda | 2012-12-06

Atarax while on antidpressants

A well meaning friend gave me a sheet of atarax 25mg. I am currently on Cipralex 10 mg and Wellbutrin that I take in the morning, and Molipaxin which I take in the evening. I am on treatmnent for Major Depression

The wWelbutrin is causing itchy hives all over my body.
Is it safe to use the Atarax?

If you are having an unusual side-effect to the meds that have been prescribed for you, call the prescribing doctor and get emergency advice from him/her. If this is your first Depression, and treatment has only recently started, then I find it highly bizarre that you have been placed on three different antidepressants at the same time. Thta is very rarely a good idea. I hope you are being treated by a properly rained psychiatrist rather than only a GP !
Aterax is a lousy and peculiar drug which may indeed have some antihistamine and anti-itch properties ( but there are many safer ones available, some I think over the counter ) but it is EXTREMELY dedative, and you would probably not be safe to drive or do much else if you took the aterax.

Posted by: Linda | 2012-12-06

Hi Doc, and thanks for the response.
No, I have been on treatment for almost a year now and due to relapses I and adjustments to my meds, I am now currently on this combination.
Thank you for the advise, I have not taken any of the atarax and I am with a very good psychiatrist, I will contact him regarding the itchiness.

Thanks again

Reply to Linda