Question
Posted by: Mommy | 2012/02/06

Atarax

Dear Pharmacist,

I''m a breastfeeding mommy. My GP has prescribed Atarax for insomnia, however, I see that breastfeeding is contra-indicated and now I''m scared to use it. Is Atarax safe to use while breastfeeding?

Thank you!

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi M

There are very little data available on the excretion of hydroxyzine into human milk and . As a result, the manufacturer recommends that due to the potential for serious adverse reactions in nursing infants, a decision should be made by your doctor regarding discontinuing nursing or the drug, taking into account the importance of the drug to the mother.

The age of your little one and your dose also plays a big role - Small occasional doses of hydroxyzine would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants. Larger doses or more prolonged use may however cause drowsiness and other effects in the infant or decrease your milk supply.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2012/02/07

Hi M

Reply to pharmacist