Question
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009/11/16

At Wits End

Hi All

As you may or may not remember I inherited my sisters two dogs and one cat.
1. Huge German Shephard is forever eating and biting his own cat but only when my husband is home and is sitting next to cat. He takes no notice if she climbs onto my lap during the day (if I get a chance to sit down) and has fortunately stopped chasing all my other cats even lying nose to nose with the Siamese which he at first detested. He has been hit on the nose with rolled up newspaper, he has been put outside where he howls away, he has been to training and is fine with all the other dogs and cats but his is a HUGE problem for me. He has been with us for 3 and a half years.
2. The second dog is a sweet Border Collie Cross - she is also a big girl but is terrified of thunder and lightning plus fire crackers. Yesterday she went berserk as the couple a house down have invested in a target shooting practice with (I presume) a pellet gun and they take part as well. It isn' t a loud crack but she climbed into my potplants standing in the fireplace, nearly tore the TV down and even though I pretended it was nothing, I couldn' t get her to calrm down. Eventually I took her into our bedroom, closed the curtains and we went to bed in the middle of the day.

My problem with her is that I do give her a sedative on Guy Fawkes Day although it was quiet here and there was the odd cracker but I know New Years Rve I am going to have to dose her to the hilt. However, short of going to this couple and ask them to refrain from their target practice with their friends, what on earth can I do? I feel like an old fogey and don' t want to spoil their fun - the children are always yelling and having such a good time, I love to hear that and they often come and play with Beer (the GSD) but with summer holidays coming up I can see this happening more often. I have tried to find her a spot where she can hide so to speak but she shakes and carries on like its the end of the world and I can' t bear to see her like that. On the other hand I can' t dose her every time they do this, so what is the solution please? I have discusssed this with the vet and his reply was that with New Year' s Eve he and I are both going to dose our dogs with Valium but this target practice is a new thing. Thanks.

Dear Cat Lady

You can try a DAP diffuser or a pheromone collar. Try putting on music when the pellet gun operates so that your dog can not hear every shot.

2
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/11/16

Hi Cat Lady,

My Jack Russel was terrified of thunder. She would get herself stuck in small spaces trying to get away or hide. So one day I tried distracting her with one of those laser pointer things and things changed immediately. She went bezerk chasing the pointer and forgot all about the thunder. We made a point of never playing with the laser except when there is thunder. Now she is so conditioned that she starts searching for the pointer before we even hear the thunder. She still shivers, but I' m not sure if its from excitement of fear.
So maybe you could find something that your dog LOVES and condition her to associate that with loud strange noises.
Good luck!

Posted by: Cybervet | 2009/11/16

Dear Cat Lady

Reply to Cybervet