Question
Posted by: Maureen | 2010/12/15

At my wits end

Hello Doc.
I was a very very thin child, up until age 13-14 then my weight started ballooning. This is around the time I started menstruating. I''m now 37 and have been struggling with my weight ever since. I have tried slimming mixtures, weighless, injections. had my jaws wired shut, twice. I''ve seen a couple of dieticians and been on countless diets and pills. Joined the gym but only went there a couple of times because I thought that everyone was looking at me. All to no avail. I hate my body and I hate myself for the lack of motivation and willpower. I hate going out and when people look at me I tend to think that they are wondering why I would let myself go. I currently weight 107kg and am 1.73m tall. I have to loose more than 30kg and just the thought of that has me running to get a chocolate. Do you perhaps think that I have a psychological problem, hence the inability to stick to a diet? Please help. I am so miserable and hate myself.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Maureen,
It is difficult for me to say definitively to what extent you have psychological problems associated with your relationship with food, but you certainly appear to have been battling with yourself for many years. Even though your weight is of concern, you are doing yourself a great disservice by being so self-critical and engaging in so many battles with yourself (jaw-wiring, etc.). I suggest that you cease all attempts to loose weight through quick methods and return to the tried and tested methods of consulting with a registered dietician and engage in a regular exercise programme. With your weight, I would encourage you to seek the advice of a biokineticist if you live in a larger area. You would also benefit from entering into therapy, preferably individual, but group if you can only afford that. Perhaps you could email me and I can give you some recommendations to someone close to you or a group in your area. You should try to not focus too much on reaching a particular weight, but rather try to instill a healthy lifestyle and see what your body is capable of achieving.
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/12/26

Hi Maureen,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert