Question
Posted by: Sophie | 2010/10/27

At my wits end

Doc I really don''t know what else to do. Consulted a dietician a year ago and I cannot afford to continue with her...it''s R330 per time. Problem is she taught me the low gi system and frankly while it''s great for weight maintanance, it''s not great for dramatic loss. I have about 10kilos of baby weight to lose and I am desperate.
I eat a small breakfast in the morning no more than 180 calories -low carb.
Lunch is a low gi carb with protein and salad.
Dinner is a stew (made with very little oil), a table spoon of rice. Or a protein, veg and if a carb, then either a low gi carb or very little of a high gi carb.
If I want something sweet, I would have no more than 2 blocks of dark choc or some yogurt and fruit. I probably consume roughly 1000 calories per day. I also go to gym 3 times per week and I burn roughly 200 calories per time...I know it''s not a lot, but I don''t have more time for gym.
Now doc I don''t know what else to do. I do not cheat with bad food, I don''t fry foods...for fat I add a little olive oil or low fat dressing to my salads.
I''ve also had my thyroid checked and everything is clear.
I had a baby two years ago, I really want this weight to go.
Please give me some advice. I feel like crying.
Weight is a deep deep issue for me, to be this big is overwhelming.
I am short (1.5m) and I weigh 64kgs. I am 30 years old. I don''t drink, smoke etc. Don''t know if this info helps.

Dear Sophie
I wonder if your inability to lose weight despite the fact that you are using a very-low-calorie diet and are doing a reasonable amount of exercise is not due to underlying depression. Depression can cause serious weight gain or weightloss depending on the individual patient, so if this could be a factor then please see your gp for treatment. In the meanwhile stick to your low-fat, low-GI diet (even increasing your energy intake to at least 1500 kcal per day - starvation diets can have a rebound effect and your body may have turned off its weightloss mechanisms in the face of 'perceived' starvation) and try to do 30 min of exercise a day. Buy a skipping rope and skip on the days when you can't got to gym. This is 'me" time and you should be able to fit it in despite tight schedules (you can even skip 10 min x 3 a day if you are very busy). The exercise is important to stimulate your metabolism and also counteract insulin resistance. If the dr did not test for insulin resistance then it may be a good idea to ask him/her to check this for you too.
I do hope you will now start losing those 10 kg.

2
Posted by: DEL | 2010/10/27

Hi there Sophia

In my opinion you are taking in too litte calories. Eating too little calories will not allow you too loose weight, but rather send your body into starvation mode and it will store everything that you eat. Try eating a little bit more.

Have a cereal for breakfast with a fruit and then you can have your lunch and supper that has veggies and a protein. Also try eating 2 snacks a day, like fruit, yogurt, and salad.

Hope this helps. Keep going and the weight loss will happen.Good Luck

Reply to DEL

Dear Sophie