Posted by: Michelle | 2009-09-09

At my wits end

Please can you try and advise me before I take myself to the vet to be put down. I have this permanant swelling feeling in my throat, ent gave me nexium, it stopped working and so my doc sent me for thyroid tests and scans. There is a small growth on the thyroid glands but the surgeon says to leave it 3 months but I have weight gain and permanant hunger yet the thyroid function test came back normal. Now I have this water retention mostly in my calves and hands - I cannot wear my rings or watch and it feels like my legs want to explode. Kidney finction blood test came back normal but the swelling is getting worse. Oh - AND I am on stresam lol - could the meds be causing the swelling? I feel like a hypochondriac but these things are definetly not in my head

Hallo Michelle
Stresam can cause angioedema which can cause swelling of the hands/feet/face and even the throat. It may be worth it to reduce the dosage or gradually wean off it to see if it makes a difference? Also ask your doctor to check your insulin levels for insulin resistance and they could also look at esophagus spasm as a possible cause of the feeling in your throat.