Posted by: Paul | 2009-09-22

Asthma with sport?

I' m a mountain biker. The first 30-45minutes of riding of spinning is very hard. I battle to breath and cannot control it, sometimes going to a near panic attack. I cannot drink any water and gasp for air after any swallow of water. If I start slow, it is better, but in a race you cannot always do that. After the first 30-45 minutes, everything settles down, and I can ride for some hours.

Hi Paul

Could be. It's not uncommon, exercise induced asthma. OF course, it might be something else, but EIA is pretty common. The only way to know for sure is to have it tested, in a pulmonology lab, where they'd make you exercise and test your ventilation.

What you need to do to prevent it is to ease into training very gradually (this is aside from getting an asthma pump from a doctor), because there is some evidence that if you start too fast, then the nervous system causes the problem, and so a gradual warmup is the answer. It's not always feasible, and so you may well want to look into seeing a doctor and having them prescribe something for you!