Posted by: BMJ | 2010-03-13

Asthma reading

Dear Doc

I am an asthmatic and have been batteling with my chest the last few weeks. I do take my Seretide as perscribed and have upped my dose to 2 puff twice daily. I still find I need to use my reliever every 3 hours or so. Dr Bets suggest I call my GP as I may have an infection even if I am not feeling ill - apart from the tight chest.

I did so and she perscribed an antibiotic. We are trying not to go the prednisone route as I had a very severe steroid withdrawal after using them last year and I was sick for a long time.

I also go a Mini Wright peak flow meter. It does not inlcude what a normal reading is. I blow 400 to 430 when my chest is clear (after using ventolin).

I am female, 37y old. Non smoker, 1.73m tall with normal weight limits.

Can you tell me what this means and when is your reading normal / too low.

Your flow reading is very low and should be a reading of 600 and more. This means that there is still restriction of airflow when you exhale. This is indicative that your broncho-spasm is not optimally under control. Ask your doctor to do a lung function test and to refer you to a pulmonologist.