Posted by: renee | 2012-08-02

asthma interferring with excercise

Dear Doc
I have been a chronic asthma sufferer all my life. I have in the last 2 years developed high-blood pressure problems and am now overweight. I have started Zumba classes but am really struggling with my chest - after about 10 minutes my breathing becomes more and more difficult, to the point where it seems I cannot even inhale/exhale anymore. I take my ventolin pumpo with me, but it brings no releif in these circumstances. I have always, even when thin and young, had difficulty with aerobic excercises. I really want to dance my way to health - what can I do to help myself? I do take a twice daily dose of Seretide. thank you

The exercise is aggrevating your asthma and it is very important to get your asthma under control, as exercise is very important. I therefore, suggest that you consult a pulmonologist, as regular over the counter medication will not improve your condition.

Posted by: Lyn | 2012-08-04

There is an amazing herbal product called Lung Logic in the Bioforce range made by Phyto Force. my daughter had asthma from 6 weeks old and used a pump daily. As a toddler she was regularly in hospital. A naturopath told us about lung logic and we have never looked back. She is 14 now and hasnt used a pump in many years. An adult friend of ours also uses it with great success., I know that Nutri Balance in Sandton city sells it and also the health shop in emmerentia., You can phone Phyto Force in KZN and they will give you the name of a stockist in your area

Reply to Lyn
Posted by: Sunshine | 2012-08-03

I have been a severe brittle asthma sufferer - to such an extent that I have been intubated a few times and landed up in ICU numerous times. I have to developed blood pressure problems, as well as liver problems because of the prolonged used of cortisone.

I have found that when I use ALL my pumps before I start to excercise, it helps a great deal. Give yourself at least 10min before you start excercise to take your inhalers. I find that Symbicord helped me better than Ventalin. Maybe ask your Pulminologist to give you a better pump?

Reply to Sunshine
Posted by: Anon | 2012-08-02

Have you tried use it BEFORE you exercise, I found that helped me.