Question
Posted by: Cranberry | 2008/09/02

Asthma / Heart Palpitations - go togethe

Dear Dr. Bets

I am the lady with Asthma. I have a new asthma pump and its ok. What I' d like to know is it normal to feel your heart palpitating, then a few seconds later chest is a bit tight = Asthma whilst my chest is still settling down? My GP suggests I have my heart checked out due to the fam history of heart disease, but before I go I' d like to know if your heart can do this if you are Asthmatic? I used Venteze one puff (overcoming that fear of meds it seems) and my chest settled down. But, I had the heart palpitations yesterday too. Note, I inhale morning and night so I know you can get palpitations from the inhaler, but isn' t that imemdiately after inhaling and not hours later? I' ve had 3 ECG' s and they were fine (this was when they did not know what was wrong). Can an ECG lie as such, show nothing when there could be a prob? Or even if there is the slightest prob will it give some indication?

cran

Dear Cranberry

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

The best will be to have a 24 hour ECG done. This will give a clear indication of what your heart is doing over a period of 24 hours. It is normal to experience heart palpitations directly after using an inhaler that stimulates the lungs to open up but not after a few hours.

Kind regards