Posted by: Deon Van Zyl | 2011-10-24

Asthma concern

I am a 41 yr old male. Recently, after a bad case of bronchitis, I began to have a wheezing chest, coughing mostly in the evening/mornings and tightness of the chest.

I visited a specialist who performed a lung function test and sent me for chest x-rays and blood tests after which he diagnosed me with asthma (I think it is allergic asthma). The X-rays and blood test results were normal. However, lung function test indicated that there was a problem when breathing out

My concerns are

Is it really asthma? Why at this age –  I do not smoke?
The Dr has put me on Symbicort 160 4.5 for 18 months –  is this correct?
Should I have a 2nd opinion?

I am certain that the doctor's treatment of your condition is correct and that due to the infection, your lungs are more susceptible to broncho spasm, which causes the wheeze when you breath out. Symbicort relaxes the airways to improve breathing and lung function.

Posted by: Sunchime | 2011-10-24

Hallo Deon

I''m a 43 year old female and have been suffering from asthma for the last 12 years. It started off as bronchitus but eventually developed what they have now labelled " brittle asthma" . Lung functions, regular visits to the hospital, blood tests etc have all become part of my life.

I am also on Symbicort - but you need to get yourself a Pulminologist (lung specialist). My experience over the last 12 years is that a General Practitioner knows a lot about atshma, but every person is different - hence you need to see a specialist that can give you the right amount of dosage that you have to use.

I live with 3 asthma pumps everyday of my life - and I still lead a normal life. Asthma can be very scary especially if you don''t understand what happens when you have an attack/wheezing.

I live in Pretoria and see Dr Hannes van Rensburg at the Unitas hospital. In my opinion he is the best. He has saved my life numerous times. In Johannesburg I can recommend Verena Ballhausen at the Sunninghill hospital - she is also VERY good.

I hope you get all the answers that I know you are craving...

All the best.

Reply to Sunchime