Posted by: Deon Van Zyl | 2011-10-24

Asthma concern

I am a 41 yr old male. Recently, after a bad case of bronchitis, I began to have a wheezing chest, coughing mostly in the evening/mornings and tightness of the chest.

I visited a specialist who sent me for chest x-rays and blood tests after which he diagnosed me with asthma (I think it is allergic asthma)

My concerns are

Is it really asthma? Why at this age –  I do not smoke?
The Dr has put me on Symbicort 160 4.5 for 18 months –  is this correct?

Refer to my answer on your second post.

Posted by: Sue | 2011-10-25

It can very well be asthma. I discovered that I suffer from bronchial asthma at the age of 40. I got sick with flu, got bronchitis and thats when I discovered that the bronchitis had set off asthma that I never knew I had. Your doctor sounds as if he did the correct tests (Did he do a lung capacity test?)
If the meds he has put you on, is helping you, then he is obviously on the right track.

Reply to Sue
Posted by: Ina wessels | 2011-10-24

Nee, Deon, gaan vir ''n tweede opinie. ''n Mens ontwikkel nie asma oornag nie. Dis tien teen een net een of ander longaandoening waarvoor die dokter vir jou ''n antibiotika kan voorskryf.

Reply to Ina wessels