Posted by: Sue | 2013-01-30

Hi Doc,

My daughter was treated for Asthma from 1 yrs of age, until her Paed felt she had outgrown it at age 9 yrs. She is now nearly 13, and yesterday whilst warming up for Netball after school, which was heavy excercise in JHB heat, she nearly fainted, started shaking and had difficulty breathing. She was well hydrated and had eaten lunch an hour previously. When she came home a few hours later, she complained of breathing issues still, as well as a slightly sore chest. This morning she is fine and back to normal. I''ve booked an appointment with her doc for Friday (no netball till next week). Could this be a return of Asthma, or excersize induced asthma, or something else?
many thanks

It is most likely due to excercise induced asthma in combination with the heat. The doctor can do a lung function test, with and without bronchodilators, to determine if her asthma has returned.