Question
Posted by: Kea | 2011-12-23

Asthma

Dear Doctor
I am 57 years of age and suffer from asthma. The past 2 years my asthma has deterioated very much. I had a sinus operation about a month ago as when checking the doctor found I had severely blocked sinus''s, which they then felt attributed to the asthma getting worse so quickly. For 2 weeks after the operation I was in heaven. No coughing what so ever. I even began wondering if I had, been suffering from asthma all the years. Then I developed a bit of a chest infection. This immediately made the asthma prominent again. I have taken 2 anti biotics, the last one being so strong that the lady in the chemist said it is given for late stage pneumonia. I stil have a cough and quite a bit of phlem although there is obvious improvement. However, what worries me now is, I have developed a brand new " thing"  in the morning when I just get up, I always cough and cough, but now I choke as well, it is mostly in the morning as I get up because that is when I cough the most and may occassionally happen during the day when I cough.... why this change now??

Kea

The cough and choking in the morning, can be due to phlem build up during the night. It is possible that your asthma is not well controlled and I suggest that you have a lung function test done, pre- and post- taking of inhalers. This way, the doctor can modify your treatment accordingly.

1
Posted by: Yvonne | 2011-12-26

Perhaps a physiotherapist can assist you as you may have post nasal drip causing escess mucous in the lungs. The physio can assist in clearing the lungs as well as treating the sinus with ultrasound or laser treatment and with a nebuliser.

Reply to Yvonne