Posted by: Ady van der Ploeg | 2010-10-10

I own a dive centre, and am regularly faced with potential student divers who would like to take up the sport of Scuba diving.
Could you tell me if there are different types of Asthma that allow one the opportunity of participating in a sport of this nature.
My biggest fear is that should a student suffer an attack whilst under water, the throat / wind-pipe closes up and the student suffers the very real risk of a lung over-expansion injury by bolting for the surface from depth.
Thank you!

Asthma is a disease that ranges from very mild attacks or mere coughs to severe attacks and death. I would like you to read the following link to understand this condition:

It will be wise to obtain a full history of your client before enrolling him/her. I also suggest a letter from a doctor to establish the severity of the asthma, as well as how good the asthma is controlled and very importantly, how well the patient understands his condition. An asthmatic, well controlled, can partake in physical activity without concern.

Posted by: Ady van der Ploeg | 2010-10-11

Thanks for the advice doc!

Reply to Ady van der Ploeg