Posted by: Extra Terrestrial | 2010-07-23

I was diagnosed with asthma about 25 years ago, and was on an inhaler until the symptoms subsided. I did not have subsequent symptoms and took no medication since. I am a healthy 45 year old female. Recently, I have again presented with asthma symptoms and did a Lung Function Test, which indicated that I needed asthma medication. My doctor prescribed Symbicort and Singulair, whichhe said I would need to be on indefinitely. I feel very reluctant to take the inhaled corticosteroids, though, because I also have osteopenia and my mass is only 40 kg. I fear that I will exacerbate the risk of osteoporosis with the use of steroids. I bought a peak flow expiration meter and achieve about 400 L/s on most days. For my mass and height, this is only about 5% below normal lung function (420L/s). I run and exercise normally and feel that I have no other asthma symptoms. Should I be on Symbicort and Singulair given my almost normal lung function? And would I be doing irreversible damage to my lungs if I don''t take the medication?

Symbicort is a safe product to use, designed to control asthma and has little or no systemic side-effects. I will advise that you use the medication prescribed.

Posted by: Astros | 2010-07-26

I suffer from chronic asthma from my allergies to animal dander. I have pets and am a veterinary student so i am exposed all the time. I have been put on Seretide (bronhodilator + cortico) and Singulair and antihistamines. The Symbicort is probably exactly like my Seretide. It is very safe. You are not taking it systemically, orally or i.v., etc, you are inhaling it. It concentrates in the lungs only and therefore has a quick and effective effect. There is a very very small amount that is absorbed systemically which is negligible. I know of a woman who had > 1 pregnancy and used this cortico accuhaler. If you dont know corticosteroids are abortogenic, so if its safe to use in a pregnant woman it will be safe to used in you. Singulair is a leukotriene inhibitor which makes it so helpful with asthma and does not have side effects of other NSAIDS, so also safe to use.
If you dont want to take these meds, you can find out what is causing the asthma. Sometimes it is idiopathic, sometimes there is a specific cause, like in my case its animal dander, cigarette smoke, dust mites, and exercise but anyone relatively healthy person can easily overcome exercise induced asthma. Once the cause is ascertained you can try and remove it from your enviroment and wont need asthma meds.

Reply to Astros