Posted by: Chris | 2009-01-22

Hi, I am not sure if I am an asthma sufferer, but I think I have some symptoms that suggest it. I am 42 years old and in good shape (cyclist) and visit the gym 3-4 times a week. I do not think this is an illness that seriously runs in the family – only know of two cousins in their youth that had minor symptoms. In recent years I have struggled with my breathing - it feels that I cannot get enough oxygen in my lungs - and realized by trying to sneeze or yawn temporary relieves these symptoms. These symptoms normally occur when going to bed or after any meal. I have previously (around 2 years ago) asked my physician about this, but he confidently expressed that this was not asthma. What do you think?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Chris
The best way to diagnose asthma is to do a lung function test - you breathe into a machine and it measures the resistance in your lungs. You can normally have this done at a pulmonologist. Let me know in which area you live and I could maybe give you the name of someone nearby that can do this