Posted by: Shirley | 2009-04-23

Hey Cybershrink!

My friend (whom I' ve know for 5 years) seems to make all kinds of assumptions about me lately, such as:

I' m a lesbian (cos I kissed a girl more than a year ago, and nothing like that has ever happened since, cos I am confident in my heterosexuality),

I can' t stand other girls (just because I did not like his female friend, who it turned out stabbed him in the back in the end)

I go to a club to get a man (cos I told him that I will not go to gay clubs with him anymore, as there' e nothing for me)

Now, I' m don' t dwell on petty issues, but to me it seems like a bigger problem here. I was ok with the assumptions at first, but I feel like he is supposed to know me after 5 years. These assumptions of his has no real evidence.

And he' s dead serious when he mentions them. Should I find out whether there is anything else that he thinks of me? Or is he trying to cover up some insecurities about himself by putting me on the spot, since he does it in a company sometimes.

Hi Shirley !
Your friend does indeed seem caught up in a lot of shallow and ill-informed assumptions. I gather he is gay ( not many straight guys sulk if a gf doesn't want to go to gay clubs ). If he puts you down in pivate and in company, doesn't really know you after all this time, is shallow and superficial --- why exactly do you consider him a friend ?