Posted by: Sneza | 2009-01-07

Assited Pregnancy and Premature Ovarian

Dear Doc
I was diagnosed with Premature Ovarian failure in 2006, since then I have been in and out of HRT, I do not take them regularly because of the weight gain. Iam now 39, Iam looking at the assisted pregnancy procedure. I have been taking HRT, Vitamin E (sometimes) and Stamingro- in order to try and stimulate my hormons. I do not think it is going to happen naturally, I need help, which have prcedure is most likely to be succesful with the condition.

Dear Sneza

In the first instance it is important to distinguish between premature ovarian failure and premature menopause. In selected cases of premature ovarian failure there is still a possibility to harvest ones own eggs whereas in premature menopause this is not possible since there is no eggs left. Certain cases of premature ovarian failure, which is based on autoimmune dysfunction, can be put into remission with the use of cortizone treatment and IVF high stimulation coupled with in-vitro maturation processes. It is best to visit a fertility specialist who is particularly familiar with this type of problem. An easier alternative would be to look at oocyte donation as this will give you the quickest result.

Answered by: Dr. M. I. Cassim