Question
Posted by: LUISA | 2010/11/26

ASSISTANC

HI THERE, I HAVE BEEN GYMING A HOUR A DAY DURING LUNCH TO TRY LOSE WEIGHT. I USUALLY HAVE 2 SLICES OF BROWN BREAD WITH A BOILED EGG FOR BREAKFAST, THEN A SALAD AT LUNCH TIME. IF I EAT DINNER I USUALLY HAVE FISH AND VEG OR A SALAD. MY WEIGHT DOES NOT SEEM TO WANT TO GO DOWN. I AM FORCING 2-3 L OF WATER DOWN MY THROAT EACH DAY. I ENJOY DRINKING BEER AFTER WORK, I USUALLY HAVE 2/3 EACH DAY WITH FRIENDS. THEY KEEP SAYING THIS IS MY PROBLEM THAT I SHOULD DRINK WHISKY AND WATER, PLEASE HELP ME

Dear Luisa
You don't mention your present weight in kg, height in metres so that I can calculate your BMI to judge if you are overweight or not. If you are not actually overweight then you will struggle to lose additional weight. Generally speaking, the combination of the diet you describe and doing an hour of gym exercises a day, should help you to lose weight. According to the SA Food Tables beer on average contains 172 kJ per 100 ml. If you have 2 glasses of 300 ml a day, that would represent an additional 1032 kJ per day that you add to your energy intake which could hamper weightloss. Whisky contains on average 1044 kJ per 100 ml and a tot is approx. 30 ml, thus by having 1 tot of whisky with water you would be adding 313 kJ and if you have 2 whiskeys then you would add 626 kJ (slightly less than the beer). It is always a good idea to either avoid all alcohol when slimming because alcohol contains 29 kJ per gram, or to reduce your intake drastically. The fact that you are drinking 2-3 litre of water a day is also not a good idea. Excessive water or liquid intake will wash important minerals like potassium and sodium out of your body, so it is important not to exceed a liquid intake of 2,5 litre a day. Your inability to lose mass (not fat) may be due to so-called electrolyte imbalances caused by loss of vital nutrients due to excessive water/liquid intake.

4
Posted by: luisa | 2010/11/30

Hi there, thanks a million. I am 5foot2 and currently weigh 65.5kgs. I am 29 years old. I want to get down to at least 57kg.

I will then reduce my water down to 2litres per day. Then I will also try stop drinking so much beer during the week....

I look forward to your response

thanks again

Reply to luisa

Dear Luisa

Dear Luisa

Dear Luisa