Assets purchased after divorce summons served

Divorce summons was served almost a year ago and currently pending trail / court date.

In the meantime I need to put my life back into order and need to purchase assets such as furniture and a car. I have the cash saved up so nothing will be purchased through bank finacne or on account.

Can my ex make any claims to these assets when the divorce goes to court?

thank you

Expert ImageFamily law expert

It all depends how you were married. Whether in community of property, out with or without the accrual. It does not necesarily mean that if you purchase an asset during the marriage and prior to divorce that it automatically falls into the estate. Can you give more details on how you are married?

Bertus Preller

Posted by: anonymous | 2010-04-21

Thanks G-Dad

Reply to anonymous
Posted by: G-Dad | 2010-04-21

Unfortunately the value of the estate is as of the date of divorce, meaning if you win the lotto now, you still are liable to share it, but once again it depends on the merit of the case, what the ex does not know and can not proof they can not claim, a car registered on your name could be traced and could be proof, furniture, well there are many ways to deal with that, friends can lend you some furniture, even new ones, the ex can not proof that.

Reply to G-Dad