Question
Posted by: Anon | 2009-10-06

Assessment with joint custody

Hi there. I would like to enquire. If a parent has joint custody and they want to take their child for an academic assessment at a psychologist due to the child not coping at school. Does the psychologist need the consent of both parents or just the one with joint custody (and who is paying for medical aid)? The situation is that the parent with whom the children lives does not believe in assessments.

Interesting, but a legal question, and it might dpend on the specifics of the joint custody agreement. For an operation, both consents might be needed, but for an educational psych assessment ? Maybe not. And anyway, couldn't both parents easily agree to anything as sensible as that ? I would be wary of anyone so stupid that they "do not believe in assessments", like the idiots who "do not believe in medicines, or in psychiatry. Disbelieve in Father Christmas or the Easter Bunny, if you insist, but belief in such universally accepted basics of life, should not be open to argument. The objecting parent should be gently reminded that such foolish objection to simple procedures so obviously to the child's benefit, could be considered highly relevant by the court if there were to be an application for single custody