Question
Posted by: Karen | 2009-04-20

Asprin

I am an almost 45 yr old female, very tall and slimmish, my dad said he wants me to start taking asprin every day, apparently at my age it is a good idea to start taking it to prevent strokes etc. My grandfather is the only person in our family who died of one, otherwise we have a pretty healthy family who have lived to very old ages. I am healthy, but under stress, but then who isnt. Should I take half an asprin a day for preventativew measures or is there something else I could take. Do you think this is a good idea ? Thank you

Dear Karen
1/2 a Disprin per day ( so called low dose aspirin - 100 mg) has proven to be beneficial in the prevention of heart attacks and strokes. If you have a family history of either, it will probably be beneficial for you to take it. It should not be taken by people with a history of gastritis, peptic ulcers or bleeding tendencies