Question
Posted by: KT | 2011/11/16

Aspartame

Is the ingredient in a sweetner called Aspartame bad for you? I have bee using it for about 4 months and I have experiencing light headedness, headaches and tiredness and not myself at all. I read somewhere it is really bad for you.

Dear KT
Artificial sweeteners, such as aspartame, have been declared 'safe for human consumption' by all the major nutrition bodies around the world, so moderate intake should not be a problem. But if you say that you are experiencing headaches, light headedness and tiredness and you think this could be due to the aspartame, then I would suggest that you stop using this sweetener for 2-3 weeks to see if the symptoms improve. If they don't then they could be due to other factors such as a diet that is too low in energy or low blood sugar, iron deficiency anaemia, etc. If the symptoms continue to occur after 2 weeks of avoiding aspartame, then I would recommend that you have a medical checkup to determine what is causing them.

1

Dear KT