Posted by: Tanya | 2009-07-03

Pls comment::
In certain markets aspartame is manufactured using a genetically modified variation of E. coli." 
" When Aspartame was originally studied it causes brain cancer in rats."  Are any of these ' comments'  true?

I use Candarel daily - please advise if I should take aspartame.

Dear Tanya
These Internet scare stories which regularly make the rounds about a whole variety of foods (canola oil, margarine, aspartame, etc, etc), are just that: Scare stories. The general consensus of international expert groups is that aspartame is safe for human consumption. You can read the article I wrote on this subject, by clicking on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then doing a search with 'Aspartame' to find the article on 'The Aspartame Controversy'. As mentioned, anyone who eats meat, fish, eggs, etc, will ingest higher levels of phenylalanine (the amino acid that is used to make aspartame), than someone using Canderel or having an artificially sweetened cold drink. If the regulatory authorities in countries like the USA, UK and Europe have declared aspartame to be safe and generally acceptable, then you can certainly use it in moderation.