Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/12

Asking her dad

Hi there Doctor

I want to get engaged with my girlfriend of 5years. But first I must ask her parents. I want to ask them, because I have to but I want to send out the message that I did this for her and even if they say no, Im still going to ask her. But in a nice way. And also, what can I do to calm my nerves.

Please reply quickly as this is important to me.

Sounds like a responsible and sensible plan. Much of what you're talking about iasn't within the realm of competence of a shrink. But if the problem you're raising here is about feeling very nervous about approaching the parents, here are some things that might help. PLAN what you want to say. RESEARCH --- talk with her about what you're planning, so she can tell you more about her parents, their concerns, and how they are likely to react ; and REHEARSE --- have one or two sessions where you speak aloud what you want to say to them, so you're familiar with it and not searching for words when you meet them
Anyone else have any useful suggestions ?

3
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/15

Dont put it like you are asking for permission, rather ask for support of your proposal

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/12

rescue remedy

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/12

Is there any reason why her parents might say no.

Good luck  -)