Question
Posted by: Carmen | 2009/10/22

asking expert....

Hey there,iam really sorry to bother you my question might be for some of you not important or you might think that this forum is only for " diet questions"  but i just took a chance to ask expert what should i do in order to become dietician,

iam very healthy fit person who likes to excersice and eat healthy iam crazy about good healthy food.....everybody who meets me ask what kind of diet and excersises i do that i look so good and most of the time i will give tham some good advice that realy improves they life and helath level and honestly i am really enjoying it...how great is that beacuese the way how we live, what we eat,how we eat and excersie can bring such a huge difference in to our life ,
not only that we are loosing weight but we look good ,feel good we have more energy we can change condition of our skin and hair evan without buying expensive products but just cause of eating right food
.but i woudlike to do it proffesionaly....so what are the steps in order to become dietician and if you could give me some more infos about it i wouldl really apreciate it.

Many Thanks

Carmen

Dear Carmen
You are not bothering me at all. It is refreshing to hear of someone who is so enthusiastic about nutrition. To become a dietitian you need to study at one of the universities that offer courses in dietetics (Pretoria, Potchefstroom, Bloemfontein, Stellenbosch, etc). Contact the Head Office of the Association for Dietetics in SA (ADSA) at (011) 789-6621 or 789-1383 and ask about the various universities that offer courses in dietetics. Also phone the university you would attend and find out about the course, the fees, etc.
Good luck with your studies

2

Dear Carmen
Good luck with your studies

Posted by: JHB dietitian | 2009/10/22

Dear Carmen

I don' t know other steps to become a dietitian other than how I did it: I' m a qualified dietitian for 3 years now, working in a hospital environment doing therapeutic nutrition. After school, I went to NWU in Potch, applied to study B.Sc dietetics. They look at the subjects you had in high school and did additional tests to qualify to study. On campus you study for 3 years in class, then one year is practical divided into 3 categories: therapeutic nutrition, community nutrition and food service. After passing this and the final exams, you' re a qualified dietitian. Thus in total, you study 4 years.

Sorry I don' t know if at home study is possible since a lot of practical issues are involved.

Keep up with the enthusiasm!!! It' s really worth it...

Reply to JHB dietitian