Question
Posted by: Dineo | 2010/02/25

ASHMA

Good day I am a single mother of an 11 year old daughter who was diagnosed with ashma when she was 3 years old.
And now the problem is the attack is getting worse especially at school and the children are now starting to tease her about her condition. I went to school to discuss the matter with the teacher and she has addressed this problem with all the children in class my wish is maybe to send a proffessional to school to educate all the children and the teachers about the desease but I am not sure who I should ask for help. This is destroying my baby whereby there are days where she does not wish to go to school because of the teasing.

Hello Dineo,
Its a mark of disgrace to any school teacher when kids are allowed to tease any other kid for illness or disability. So you were right to visit the school, and get the teacher to start actually educating the kids.
Now, it would be fine for them to go further, and your question as to who could join the teacher in educating the kids about ashtma or maybe more broadly about other chronic conditions, is a good one. And I wish I had a good answer for it.
So much depends on the actual people available wherever you are. SOme GPS are glad to do this sort of thing, others, aware that they can't get paid for this, don't. Before I retired, I used to be very generopus about such public activities, but few of my colleagues were. Maybe your doc who treats her asthma could contacy some of the drug companies who do very well ou of chronic asthma meds, and they might sponsor a doctor's talk or send one of the drug reps who can be rather knowledgeable about the subject, to help - they sponsor ALLSA, the Allergy Association of SA rather generously.

1

Hello Dineo,