Posted by: Andrea | 2013-01-14

As fat as I can get

Hi Dietdoc
I am now as fat as what I hope I can ever get. I am on cortisone for asthma but seriously my eating has been out of control. I sat down and thought about what I ate when I was thin. Does this sound very bad to you or OK? For some reason I am satisfied on this diet and don''t miss the carbs too much.

Breakfast - 1 cup ice cold skim milk + 1 cup ice cold water + 3 big tablespoons of fat free free plain yoghurt + 1 small banana + 1 small nectarine + 1/2 tsp vanilla essence and a touch of honey - made into a smoothie. I take it to work and sip on it. It makes nearly 500ml and it fills me up.

Snack - roasted veg (I make them nicely) - I put chunks/slices/blocks of the following in a tub and shake it up with a little Canola oil, celery salt, pepper and parsley. Then bake it on a baking tray with non-stick spray until soft. I use butternut, peppers, onion, cabbage, patty pans, green beans, broccoli, cauliflour. I eat some whenever I get snackish. Say a small bowl. Very filling and delicious.

Lunch: 2 eggs dry scrambled. OR 2 slices of cold meat wrapped around some goats cheese and salad ingredients (coleslaw, cherry tomatoes, cucumber). Dressing is always plain fat-free yoghurt with some celery salt. OR 1 tin of tuna in brine with my " dressing" . OR 1 tub of fat free cottage cheese and some celery salt. OR a " salad"  of some drained corn, cherry tomatoes and the " dressing"  OR a big bowl of any homemade soup (veg and meat or chicken).

Snack - vegetables again.

Supper: anything but minus the carbs. So cottage pie minus the potato I have it with butternut and more veg. Or two big chicken pieces with the veg. Or any meat with the veg. Always use chopped onion and tomato as a sauce. Or the fat free mayo as a sauce. Or meatballs with the veg. I also make homemade low cal soups - celery or mushroom and take it to work. I do eat avocado, oil in my veg (no marg) and a lot of fat free yoghurt.

No rubbish in-between meals. I drink a lot of water with a Lite Cordial eg. Oros. I drink tea and coffee without sugar or sweetener.

NO pasta, rice, bread, crackers, sugar, porridge, potato - as soon as I touch it I am back to binging.

I am 1,76m tall, weigh 135kg, Female.

I have anemia so I do eat meat and take an iron supplement daily. I have to have a B12 injection weekly forever.

My portions are big but I am desperate and this is the only way that I can stop eating. I have tried many many things and this seems to work. I expect the portions to decrease as I get used to it.

I have stacks to lose and I also pass water a lot I think because a lot of this is bulky liquid.

Dear Andrea
Your diet sounds reasonable despite the fact that you are on what could be classed as a 'practically zero-carb diet' which I am personally not in favour of. However, you do intend eating a lot of calcium-rich foods (like the yoghurt to prevent osteoporosis), vegetables which are very healthy and lean meat, fish, etc. Please check that the Oros is not sweetened with sugar as liquid sugar is more obesogenic than solid sugar. Do not start starving yourself as this can prove counterproductive and may worsen your anaemia. Give this diet a try and as you start losing weight try to do some physical activity such as water aerobics or going for walks when it is cooler (early morning or evening). Please read my reply to Tracy about considering having bariatric surgery to lose the 57 kg you would need to lose to achieve a normal BMI of 25 (weighing 78 kg).