Question
Posted by: kirsteyn | 2010/02/01

Artificial insemination for gender selection

Hi, I'  m having my first insemination tomorrow and we have chosen a boy, no boys in my husbands family to carry on the name and we already have a 3 year old daughter. So I want to know if anyone else out there has done the same and were they successful? I want to get excited but try not to so that I won'  t be too dissapointed if we have no luck with falling pregnant or even getting the gender we hope for.

Dear Kisteyn

The result of sperm separation for gender selection in the insemination process is only marginally better than the likelihood natural occurrence. This applies to sperm separation with convention technique such as the swim-up procedures. The use flow cytometry or cell separation for this purpose is not available in South Africa.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

2
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/02/03

Dear Kisteyn

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: Kinnie | 2010/02/02

We went the AI route and are currently busy with AI number 9 in total. We did not do it for gender selection reasons, but because of my husband low motility sperm problem. We have little boy conceived after AI number 3 and miscarriage after AI no. 2. Currently bussy with AI no.6, trying for baby no. 2. I was told and have also read up a lot on this matter and that it true that you have a much smaller chance in conceiving a girl with AI, because the washed sperm used for AI does only live for about 12 to 24 hours, this given the sperm carrying the male gender a bigger chance because they swim faster. On the other side I have heard of baby girls and even twins (boy and girl) conceived with AI.
I think the fertility expert will give you better answer.

Good luck with you quest for a boy.

Reply to Kinnie