Question
Posted by: bibi | 2009-09-18

arthritis or gout??

Dear Doc, please can you tell me the difference between the two - i have sore fingers mainly on the left hand but right hand slightly - toes have burning sensation - but not swelling on either hands or feet - no redness either, just pain....or am i on the wrong path of thinking?? thanks for your precious time.

Bibi

Gout usually effects a single joint, is acutely painful and the severity of the pain will soon drive you to the doctor. Arthritis usually effects the smaller joints of the hands. The symptoms are symetric, characterised by painful stiff swollen joints.

I suggest that you consult your doctor for blood tests and x-rays of your hands and feet. This will shed more light on the type of arthritis causing your symptoms.