Posted by: Gogga | 2009-03-05

arthritis meds

Dear Cyberdoc

Is there any anti-inflammatory for osteoarthritis that will not mess up one' s stomach?
A GP recently gave me Flexocam to reduce swelling in my knee and it worked well. But then my stomach packed up, another GP at the clinic said it' s gastritis and I should avoid anti-inflammatories. I can handle the pain but the swelling is making my life difficult because my knee doesn' t bend properly. What would you suggest? I' m so desperate I' m willing to inject myself if necessary. Having the fluid drained from my knee with a needle doesn' t help because the next day it' s swollen again.

Dear Gogga
Are you sure it is osteo arthritis and not rheumatoid arthritis? Anti-inflammatories is just a kind of pain medication and does not "heal" or protect the joints. Maybe you should rather see a rheumatologist for a second opinion especially if the knee is red and warm and swollen.
One gets a kind of anti-inflammatory plaster you can put on that works quite well but may be expensive - ask at your pharmacy