Posted by: L Martin | 2011-10-10

Arthritis etc

In the 1950''s my mom was diagnosed with rhumathoIn the 1950’ s my mom was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.
My grandfather was in the military so she was treated by the military doctors in Wynberg Military Hospital. (I so wish I could get the records of this)
There was no cure for this painful disease and my mom was the first person / child in South Africa on whom the so called “ golden injection”  was tested. My grandmother had to sign all kinds of indemnity forms etc. for this injection to be tested on my mom.
This injection cured my mom but the disease has come back to haunt her in her later years. Our GP diagnosed my mom with various types of arthritis after a whole lot of tests were done.
She is on medication (4 tablets once a week) can’ t remember the name and of course pain killers … .. It helped for a little while but I wish you can see what her hands look like …  all skew with these protruding growths in the palm of her hands, the knobbles all swollen and purple and she complains that it is very painful … .. It is getting worse every day. She can’ t even knit anymore as the joints are all stiff and skew. I know there is probably nothing much that can be done for her but I am hoping there might be something that could help … … 

I strongly suggest that your mother consults a rheumatologist for treatment. Unfortunately, her condition sounds very progressed and I sincerely hope that her pain can be controlled.