Question
Posted by: Ruby | 2010-07-23

Arthritis?

Hi doc!
My right thumb joint is really sore and has been for some time. Today I noticed it''s swollen. I am right handed. I haven''t bumped it or injured it and don''t really do hard physical work so I don''t think it''s that. I do work with a mouse at work quite a bit. What I want to know is: could it be arthritis? It is worse when it''s cold, and feels a bit stiff.
I am only 31, so I don''t want to be arthritic already!

What tests would I need - an xray?

Ruby

You describe the signs and symptoms of an "arthritis". There are numerous causes for arthritic disease and you should consult your doctor for blood tests and x-rays of the effected joint.