Posted by: lynda | 2009-03-16

Hi my name is Lynda
About a week ago my cross - labrador being of the age of 4.5years, weighing 21kg, incredibly active and playful all of a sudden couldnt get up anymore. Once he managed to get up he was limping on his one back leg. Anything like walking or running would make the limp worst. I took him to the vet who said it was arthritis. It just seems so quick for such a young active normal weight dog to just get arthritis overnight. Can this be the case?

Dear Lynda

I have never seen arthritis that develops that quickly. Did he take x-rays? More likely to be an unjury of some sort.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-16

Sounds highly unlikely to me - my bet is, he hurt himself somehow. Did the vet supply painkillers or anti-inflammatories?

If it' s a muscle or tendon injury, it should resolve itself, provided the dog is rested - no vigorous exercise while it' s healing, just let him set the pace.

If it doesn' t clear up or improve in a week or two, or he seems in pain, another vet visit is called for, and don' t be fobbed off. He may end up needing an x-ray, to be sure of what' s going on.

Reply to Chill