Question
Posted by: Hipster | 2009-01-09

Arthritis

Dear DD

Arthritis runs in our family (Osteo). My mom is 66 and having a hip replacement next week. I' m 43 and have degenerative disks in my back.
Question is this - of the supplements on the market (I don' t know if you can mention the name) what is safe to take with Hypertension and Diabetes? We were told that my mom who has these conditions can' t take them - the ones with chondroiton and msm etc.
I' d like to know which ones are safe for Asthmatics to take? I have been battling to get answers and my own doctor says he does not know.

Secondly, as a rule is hoodia whether in tablet or gel form safe to use and take with any health condition?

I just downloaded your guidelines for arthritis diet we will start on that so long.

Hipster

Dear Hipster
Wishing you all the best for 2009. I am so sorry to hear about your dear Mother's hip replacement and the fact that you also have degenerative disks in your back. I don't think that the products on the market which state that they improve joint disease will have a negative effect on hypertension and diabetes, but I have also not read any conclusive evidence so far that chondroitin and msm will actually make a difference to the degeneration. You can ask your chemist to check who produces or distributes these products and ask the manufacturer if they affect asthmatics. I would recommend that your Mom should have a diet worked out specifically for her conditions by a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). We are still waiting for the scientific tests on Hoodia to be completed. Until these Hoodia products have been given the go-ahead I can also not recommend them. Once the studies have been completed and we know if Hoodia is safe to use, we can reevaluate their use for slimming.