Question
Posted by: Paula | 2008/09/20

Arthritis

I am a 47 year old female and suffer from arthritis in the knees and ankles and stiffness in my hands?! It is not in my family. It is painful and I would like to know hwat causes it and if it is reversable? Does acid in the body and the volume of water consumed on a daily basis play a role?

Many thanks

Paula

Dear Paula

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I recommend that you consult your GP, to have x-rays and blood tests done, to exclude arthritis or gout. Consumption of water should be at least 8 to 10 glasses per day but if you have arthritis or a form of gout, it is best to take medication specifically for this condition.

1
Posted by: A friends response to Paula | 2008/09/20

Hi Paula, I hope the Dr does not mind me chiming in, until such time as she can give you her professional expertise.
I am 52 and developed the most *horrendous* arthritis type pain in wrists, knee' s, hips, ankles and yes, even the mandible bones in the jaw - those teeny, tiny bones which allow you to chew your food and open and close your mouth. I had the most awful heart burn, suddenly, out of the blue and a Phycisian I went to see, put me onto 20mg' s of Nexium. This did not help so I was then changed over to Pantaloc 40 mg' s. I was in agony 6 months later and then was kicked up to daily doses of 120mg' s of Pantaloc. These are P.P.I. drugs, ie acid blocking drugs.
I was on these incredibly high doses for over 2 1/2 years and with it all the bone pains significantly increased to the point that for the first hour in the morning, I could not even make my own tea as I was unable to grab hold of the kettle to fill it with water, was unable to grasp a mug out of the cupboard or get my fingers to grab hold of a tea bag. Walking the first hour in the morning was agonizing to put it mildly.
Thank the good Lord I was due for a check up at my gynae and he was horrified to hear just how I was suffering from arthritis. As this condition does run on my moms side of the family - my gynae used to send me on yearly bone density tests. The latest one showed that from the time that I had been prescribed these massive doses of P.P.I. drugs, my bone density had dropped by a whopping 22% in under 12 months. I was sent to an endocrinologist, a rheumatologist and a few other, assorted ' professionals.'  They ALL blamed the excessively high use of acid blocking drugs as apparently (sorry if I do not convey this 100% medically correctly) but as the acid/alkili is extremely important in the body, my body had started taking huge amounts of mineral calcium out of the bones of my body, leaving me with the most incredible pain and disability.

I highly recommend you read the book THE ACID ALKALINE Food Guide by Dr' s Susan E. Brown and Larry Trivieri. I greatly pushed up my daily use of food and drink which would cause high levels of acid to become more alkaline - I include sensible amounts of mineral drinks and supplements to counter act the acidity in my body and I try to avoid at all costs, those foods which I know will lead to another painful trip down arthritis immobility.

In one and a half years I gradually have weaned myself off ALL P.P.I. drugs, I drink glasses of water laced with freshly squeezed lemon juice or a tea spoon of apple cider - natural acid drinks and food stuffs, once ingested, converts excess stomach acid which leads to arthritis to more healthy alkali levels. I am living proof that this absolutely works!

Last but not least is that EXCERCISE and movement is one of the most important things you can do! I keep a small rubber exercise ball in my handbag and use it whenever I stand in a queue. When standing in line at the supermarket I get up on the balls of my foot, up down, up down, I keep those joints moving as much as possible. I do daily rotational movements with my shoulders any chance I get and it really helps enormously. For years I have done voluntary work at the old age home and from the time that I found such good results for myself, with the elderly folks Dr' s permission, I started to encourage them to do what has been working for me and the greater majority are now doing way, WAY better in the arthritis pain dept and when we go shopping to the super market now, only 3 out of the previous 14 elderly ladies still need to be pushed in wheel chairs or walk with the aid of their walkers.
Just my penny' s worth. I wish you luck and health as I know how painful arthritis can be!

Reply to A friends response to Paula