Question
Posted by: jessica | 2008/08/01

arthritis

My mum 83 years old has severe joint pain and walk difficult because of hip pain- she was diagnosed with arthritis- is there any other help except pain medication - like a diet that she can use
thanks

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Jessica,
Your mother needs to see an osteopath to help reduce her pain.
Fur more information on osteopathy visit www.osteogoodhealth.com

Here are some nutritional recommendations but as I do not have your mothers full case history I would check with your medical doctor first.

Eat more sulphur containing foods such as asparagus, eggs, garlic and onions. Sulphur is needed for the repair and rebuilding of bone, catlidge, and connective tissue, and it also aids in the absorption of calcium. Other beneficial foods include fresh vegetables (especially green leafy vegetables, which supply vitamin K), non acidic fresh fruits, brown rice, fish and avacados.

Eat fresh pineapple frequently. Bromelain, an enzyme found in pineapple is excellant for reducing inflammation. To be effective, the pineapple must be fresh, as freezing and canning destroys enzymes.

Reduce the amount of fat in your diet. Do not consume milk, dairy products, or read meat. Also avoid caffiene, citrus fruits, paprika, salt, tobacco, and everything containing sugar.

Avoid the nightshadevegetables (peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, white potatoes). These foods contain a substance called solainine, to which some people, particularly those suffering from arthritis, are highly sensitive. Solanine interfers with enzymes in the muscles, and may cause pain and discomfort.

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath