Question
Posted by: Lil | 2011/04/19

Artery Pain in Neck

Hi there i have been getting these weird pains in my neck (feel as if the pain is in my carotid arteries)..have been getting them for a year or two now. It only occurs when its hot and when i exercise sometimes. Its as if the pain pulses/throbs through my arteries with the blood. Dont know how to explain it. 6months ago i had a Thermography scan and they picked up slight inflammation in both the carotids and said i should come back in three months to have it checked out again...Might this show signs of early stroke? I read something that poor blood circulation is a symptom of artery disease and my hands and feet are always cold...i dont hold heat as well. :) Always struggle to get warm. My dad had a stroke at 48 two years ago. Should i have this checked out and what are the safest ways to have it checked out. What can this be and does my carotid pains have anything to do with some sort of artery disease. I am 28. Female. Please help.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Lil

I very much doubt the pain in you neck has anything to do with your carotid arteries. Firstly, carotid disease is highly unlikely in a 28 year old woman. Secondly, carotid arteries very seldom cause pain - even if they are diseased. Pain like you describe has nothing to do with early stroke.

Much more likely is that the pain is related to some other structure in the neck, and is not necessarily due to "disease" of any kind. My advice would be to see your own doctor about the pain to try to establish a cause. If you are really concerned about your carotids he/she can always organize an ultrasound (Duplex Doppler) of the carotids, but my prediction is the test will show normal healthy arteries.

Cold hands and feet in young women as a general rule have nothing to do with "poor circulation" and are usually related to the nervous control of blood flow to the skin.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/04/21

Lil

Reply to Cardiologist