Question
Posted by: Maria | 2010/04/26

Aropax

Hey CS

So I reduced my Aropax from 25mg to 12.5mg with no apparent ill effects. When I tried to wean slowly off the 12.5mg though, things fell apart and I''m back on that dosage now. I also take Trepiline and Epitec. Currently I''m more or less at my regular level of insanity. :-)

My question is, 12.5mg isn''t a therapeutic dosage, is it? Why then is it so difficult to wean off it. If you have withdrawal symptoms then does this mean you are effectively addicted to the medication? I have no problem taking meds longterm, but Aropax even in small dosages gives my very distressing nightmares and I would dearly like to get rid of it.

Interesting question, M. But actually, there's no necessary connection, so far as I know, between therapeutic levels and levels at which or from which one might be able to experience withdrawal effects. Its not a question of the blood level falling below the therapuetically effective level that causes the symptoms, but the manner in which one's brain receptors to various neurotransmitter chemicals are re-adapting to the absence of the drug, and how the neurotransmitters themselves are re-adjusting.
Nightmares do seem to trouble some of us when on some ADs, but I haven't seen a very coherent patterns either to predict which of us would be so affected, or by which ADs.

1