Posted by: Anri | 2012-02-16

arms / vibroshape

Good day

I just like to know the following:

1) The vibro shape (R500) - will that improve circulation and maybe cm loss? Take note that i DO NOT rely on a gadget like this for weight loss and that i do my cardio. But if a expensive gadget like this can assist, Why not?

2) I know that i can not spot reduce, but how can i exercise my upper arms without adding bulk., I ve got a lot of " muscle"  on my upper arms which i hate. What type of weight must i use and how many repetitions?

Thank you kindly

Hi Anri

I'm not a fan, I wouldn't spend that money on it, because a) there's no evidence that it works, and b) there's lots to say that other ways of training, that are cheaper, work better. And you're already doing them, so rather don't go there!

With respect to spot reduction, this is the principle obviously that explains why the gadgets don't work, but your question is a little different - what you're looking at doing is toning and that is possible, definitely. You just need a session of arm exercises - bicep curls, dips, tricep pull downs, shoulder press etc - the gym will have dozens of these exercises and perhaps see a trainer for assistance on the specifics. The importnat thing is to avoid lifting heavy - that's what causes muscle bulk, and so if you stick to lighter weights, and do more reps, then the outcome shifts to toning. So get a weight that you can lift comfortably 15 times, and do 2 or 3 sets of 15 reps, that should do it

Posted by: Mohit | 2012-03-13

Hey!! Good on ya! I''m proud of you that you want to quit smoking and nghcae your lifestyle to a healthier one overall. You''ll thank yourself a million times over once you get into the new routine. Now about the potential weight gain: The reason why people who stop smoking gain weight is because they have a need to replace the hand-to-mouth habit. What else do we have in our hands that has the same action? Food and drink. So, the trick is to replace the habit with something that has no or low calories: fresh cut veggies, lollipops, water, straws, etc. A handy trick is to pack sandwich size ziplock baggies with single serving non-fat and low-fat snacks. Have them in your cupboard and refrigerator ready to grab. Typically, people who quit smoking (but who don''t replace the habit with healthy snacks) gain an average of 5 lbs. and generally take it off again after the physical and psychological cravings have abated. The best thing to do when you have a craving is to go for a brisk walk it doesn''t have to be long: 15 20 minutes. Just make it brisk so that you break a sweat. You''ll go further in your weight loss goals and you''ll distract yourself with the beauty of the outdoors. Plus, you take yourself away from tempting snack foods that can cause weight gain.I quit smoking 23 years ago and chewed on straws to do it. I didn''t gain weight  but I''m a lot happier and healthier now because of it! I wish you the very best of luck. You can DO IT!!

Reply to Mohit